Working With Child Services

Every state has an organization that is in charge of protecting children. In Missouri, it is called Child Protective Services (CPS). The unfortunate part that comes with protecting children is that sometimes, they have to be removed from their homes. Further, no parent is immune from CPS's power.

If you have had your child removed from your care or are in other ways attempting to deal with Child Protective Services, our lawyers at Kelly, Symonds & Reed, LLC, will help you. Contact us online to get the answers you need. We will meet with you in a free consultation to go over what needs to be done and what your options for the future are.

What Triggers Child Protective Services?

There are multiple things that can cause CPS to begin investigating your family. Some issues include:

  • Reports of child abuse
  • Child endangerment
  • Criminal acts by one parent
  • Domestic violence calls
  • Drug or alcohol abuse

No matter why CPS was called to your home, the reality is that speaking with an attorney as soon as possible is critical. Our lawyers have built a sound relationship with Child Protective Services and can work with you and them to achieve a positive end result.

Where Do My Children Go If CPS Takes Them?

There are many options that CPS may choose from if they remove a child from a home. From placing the kids with relatives or the other parent's home, to placing them in foster care.

In many cases, there will be a hearing to determine what the best interests of the children are. Putting a skilled lawyer in your corner for this hearing is imperative to increasing your chances of success. There are things you can do to impair your chances. A few things that you should never do are below:

  • Do not argue or fight with the police
  • Write down every detail that you can about the incidents that led up to the removal
  • Never miss any visitation time if CPS says you have it after a removal
  • Do not miss any court dates
  • Follow any court orders immediately and fully (including alcohol or drug abuse rehabilitation)

Questions Regarding Child Protective Services? Call Us.

Call our Lee's Summit law office at 816-347-1818 to get the help you need with CPS issues. Working with child services can be a challenge and the consequences for messing up are very severe. Allow our team to help you today. We serve clients throughout the Kansas City metro area.